Jun 12, 2023

Property Registration in Chennai: A Complete Guide | Godrej Properties

by Godrej Properties Limited

650

2

Chennai recorded an 18% year-on-year (Y-o-Y) growth in residential real estate in the second half of 2022. This is a direct result of the growth in employment opportunities in Chennai as well as the improved infrastructure and amenities available. It is no wonder then that the city has also seen a rise in property registrations.

However, depending on the city or state, registering your property can be a straightforward process. Here, we outline the process for house or land registration in Chennai.

Property Registration Charges in Chennai

According to the Tamil Nadu Stamp Act, 2017, every property must be registered at the sub-registrar’s office. Stamp duty and registration charges must be paid at the same time. Stamp duty is levied at 7% of the property’s market value while the registration charge is 4% of the property’s market value. Thus, a homebuyer pays a total of 11% of the transaction amount.

In Chennai, stamp duty and registration charges are uniform across urban and rural markets as well as among male and female homebuyers.

Calculation of House Registration Charges in Chennai

Stamp duty and registration charges can be calculated using online calculators. However, these charges can be easily calculated manually too. Here is an example of how these charges are calculated on a property worth 50 Lakh: 

Stamp duty payable = 50,00,000 x 7% = 3,50,000

Registration charges payable = 50,00,000 x 4% = 2,00,000

Thus, you will have to pay a total of 5,50,000 to register your 50 Lakh property.

Process of Property Registration

Chennai allows online registration and payment of stamp duty as outlined below:

  • Visit shcilestmap website and choose Tamil Nadu from the States list dropdown menu.
  • Update your details in the stamp duty application form and download it.
  • Check your Authorised Collection Centre (ACC) on the tnreginet portal and pay the stamp duty to receive the e-stamp certificate.
  • Save and file the receipt.

Alternatively, you can also visit the sub-registrar’s office and fill out the physical application form, pay the stamp duty via cash, NEFT, demand draft, or RTGS, and collect the stamp duty certificate.

Documents Required for Property Registration in Chennai

There are a few mandatory documents one must submit while registering property in Chennai. These include:

  • Sale Deed of the property
  • Stamp duty receipt
  • Buyer’s Identity proof - PAN Card
  • Identity proof of the seller
  • Identity proof of two witnesses
  • Passport-sized photographs of all parties involved, including witnesses

In conclusion, Chennai is a rapidly developing city that is attracting more homebuyers every year. It has progressive processes which enable you to easily purchase and register property in the city.
 

Frequently Asked Questions

1.When should I register my property in Chennai?

Ans: Every property in Chennai must be registered within four months of buying the property.

2.I bought a resale property in Chennai, do I still have to pay registration charges?

Ans: In Chennai, stamp duty and registration charges have to be paid for new as well as resale property.

Previous Post
Next Post